
Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque maintained on Tuesday that he would only run for senator if Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte would seek the presidency in the May 2022 elections.
Roque said “many” people are not losing hope that Sara would eventually change her mind since the Commission on Elections allowed the substitution of candidates until November 15.
Sara filed her certificate of candidacy (COC) for reelection on October 2.
“Hindi ko pa po alam. Unang-una po umaasa pa rin tayo na gaya ng sinabi natin na nais nating tumakbo kasama po si Mayor Sara – iyan po iyong pinakaimportanteng konsiderasyon,” Roque said at a press briefing.
(I still don’t know. First, I am still hoping that I can run alongside Mayor Sara. That is the most important consideration.)
“Alam ko po sinabi niya hindi na talaga pero malay ninyo naman po magkaroon ng milagro,” he added.
(I know she has said she is not running for president, but who knows, a miracle might happen.)
Roque also cited the resources needed to mount a national campaign.
“Ako po’y hindi anak-mayaman, hindi po ako anak-pulitiko,” he said.
(I was not born into a rich family. I am not a politician’s child.)
Article IX, Section 77 of the Omnibus Election Code provides that “[i]f after the last day for the filing of certificates of candidacy, an official candidate of a registered or accredited political party dies, withdraws or is disqualified for any cause, only a person belonging to, and certified by, the same political party may file a certificate of candidacy to replace the candidate who died, withdrew or was disqualified.”
This means Sara, daughter of President Rodrigo Duterte, would need to join a political party whose member filed a COC for president from October 1 to 8. That party can then tap her as a substitute candidate.
Roque is a member of the People’s Reform Party (PRP).
Last week, PRP said Roque was expected to join former Defense Secretary Gilbert Teodoro as its senatorial candidate via substitution. — VBL, GMA News
0 Comments